MongoDB is an open-source document database that provides high performance, high availability, and automatic scaling.
A record in MongoDB is a document, which is a data structure composed of field and value pairs. MongoDB documents are similar to JSON objects. The values of fields may include other documents, arrays, and arrays of documents.
The advantages of using documents are:
- Documents (i.e. objects) correspond to native data types in many programming languages.
- Embedded documents and arrays reduce need for expensive joins.
- Dynamic schema supports fluent polymorphism
MongoDB provides high performance data persistence. In particular,
- Support for embedded data models reduces I/O activity on database system.
- Indexes support faster queries and can include keys from embedded documents and arrays.
Rich Query Language
MongoDB supports a rich query language to support read and write operations (CRUD) as well as:
- Data Aggregation
- Text Search and Geospatial Queries.
MongoDB’s replication facility, called replica set, provides: